Mateya caters for a maximum of ten guests in five beautifully decorated air-conditioned thatched suites. The five luxury suites are arranged in a semi-circle around one of the hilltops and constructed to blend in with the pristine natural surroundings.
Each spacious suite boasts handcrafted mahogany furnishings and original African artworks, a fireplace, a stylish en-suite bathroom, open-air shower, mini bar, tea/coffee station, and a raised viewing deck with a natural window Sala and private rim-flow pool from where you can enjoy unsurpassed views of the waterhole.
When you’re not out exploring Madikwe, take a moment to admire Paul Augustinus’ vibrant landscapes and wildlife portraits, Robert Glen’s impressive bronze sculpture of an agile lioness attempting to bring down a leaping impala or the exquisite bronze sculptures by Dylan Lewis which are on display in the Mateya gallery. Or retire to the library which is home to a rare collection of African literature dating back to the turn of the 19th century.
Continue your cultural journey with a visit to Mateya’s well-stocked cellar which has an incredible selection of top local and rare French wines and champagnes.
Come mealtimes, expect to be treated to a delightful gastronomic feast prepared from the finest, most wholesome ingredients. Mateya’s chefs are also happy to cater to visitor’s dietary requirements and special requests.
Brunches and lunches are served on the Lodge’s main deck while dinners are served in the splendid dining space or on the wooden viewing deck circling the fantastic “fire core” overlooking the untamed bushveld below.
End your meal on the perfect note with a premium brandy, cognac or single malt whiskey and a cigar from the humidor as you drink in the infinite star-filled night skies.
For an intimate dining experience, retreat to the privacy of the wine cellar which is available by prior arrangement. Bush picnic lunches are also offered on request.
When business calls, Mateya’s business centre which has full internet and e-mail facilities is the ideal place to host a “pow wow” or connect with the outside world.
Naturally, the chief reason for a trip to Mateya is to discover the rich diversity of bird- and wildlife that inhabit the world-acclaimed Madikwe Game Reserve. Outdoor adventures include game drives in custom-built 4X4 vehicles, informative bush walks, and birding excursions accompanied by knowledgeable field rangers and masterful Koi San trackers.
With a maximum of four visitors per drive, you are guaranteed a thrilling wilderness encounter that focuses on your personal interests. For an even more elite safari experience, Mateya does offer a two-person game drive by prior arrangement.
Regarding junior visitors, Mateya Safari Lodge welcomes children nine years and older, but children aged under 16 years are not allowed to join the bush walks. However, visitors of all ages are welcome should you wish to book the Lodge on a sole-use basis.
Complete your journey to a renewed mind, body, and soul by treating yourself to a range of full body spa therapies in the comfort and privacy of your suite or immerse yourself in the relaxing bubbles of the Jacuzzi. Alternatively, work up a healthy sweat with a workout in the well-equipped gym.
Before you depart be sure to check out handcrafted mementos in the curio shop, many of which are created by the very same artists whose works adorn the Lodge.
Every aspect of Mateya is geared to ensure visitors enjoy a truly remarkable African breakaway – from the meticulous service to the deluxe accommodations and unfettered access to Madikwe Game Reserve. If you’re looking for a world-class safari destination,
Mateya Safari Lodge is sure to live up to your demanding expectations.
- Check Rates
|Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • South African Rand • Subject to availability|
|Details||1 Jan 2018 to 31 Dec 2018|
|Single Per Night||R15 845|
|Person Sharing Per Night||R12 680|
|Exclusive Use per night||R 133 155|
|Child sharing - 13 years and under||R6 655|
10 JANUARY 2018 - 15 DECEMBER 2018
* 3 Night Exclusive use and more - R119 840 per night
- Fly Promotions - Only apply to full paying adult rates & flight cancellation fees apply as per Fedair Terms & Conditions if confirmed bookings are cancelled
- 4 Night Promotions only applies on full paying adult rates
- Promotions packages can not be used inconjuction with any other promotions packages
- Promotions can not be used inconjuction with child rates
- Per Person Per night sharing or single as stated
- Inclusive of all meals, teas, coffees, game drives, bush walks, local beverages, house wines, laundry, internet, entrance fees, landing fees, levies and transfers to and from Madikwe Airstrip
- Rates quoted in South African Rands (ZAR)
- Subject to change without prior notice
- Insclusive of 15% VAT (Subject to change)
Rates quoted exclused:
- Health therapy treatments
- Vintage & Imported wines & Premium label spirits
- Telephon calls
- Curio Purchases
- Conversation levy R150 per adult per day, R75 per child (under 12) per day
The lodge consists of five individually designed luxury air-conditioned thatched suites. Each suite blends with its natural surroundings and offers uninterrupted views of the waterhole and plains. Guests can enjoy a balance of sophistication and comfort, in total privacy and harmony with nature, savouring the rare pleasure of their very own secluded slice of Africa. Indeed, the original African artworks that adorn each suite seem to reflect the very essence of the Madikwe Reserve – a beautiful, vital, and untamed stretch of bush. Reclining in hand-crafted mahogany furnishings, looking out as the Zebra lead the plains game to the waterhole, the immediacy of your experience could not be more vivid.
Lying under the shade of your natural window sala, or immersing in the cool water of your rim-flow pool, each and every feature of your suite provides total privacy and comfort. Your en-suite bathroom complete with a secluded open-air shower invites you to luxuriate in a sensual setting that is designed to satisfy your ultimate enjoyment. The ambiance of a fresh and clear night is warmed by the heat from the custom-designed fireplace, and as you settle down to admire the myriad of stars speckling the sky, the whispering breeze utters magical words that speak of tomorrow’s promise.
It is at Mateya that the unique fusion of diverse African heritage is drawn together with the utmost finesse and style. Guests with a thirst for an unsurpassed blend of beauty, discerning taste and cultural delights can relax and indulge in inspiration drawn from every corner of the continent. In celebration of a rich history of diversity and the untamed beauty to which the lodge is home, Mateya has acquired one of the world’s finest collections of art from throughout the continent. Each piece purposefully chosen for the way in which its canvas captivates a vibrant feel for Africa. Proudly, Mateya is home to 21 original paintings by Paul Augustinus for whom the vast landscapes and abundance of wildlife have been an emotive inspiration. Nothing quite captivates the vitality and exhilaration of the wild like Robert Glen’s magnificent bronze sculpture of an agile lioness attempting to bring down a leaping impala – “Close Shave”. Adding to the allure of this piece, Mateya also boasts several exquisite bronze sculptures by Dylan Lewis.
You may want to marvel at the canopy of stars on a clear night, whilst dining outdoors. For a wild culinary experience, submerge yourself in the glory of the African night skies as you dine beneath the clear glow of a galaxy of stars while the roar of an open-air fire core ensures your comfort. Mateya will invite you to a royal feast and a demonstration of expert culinary skills. With the freshest produce offered straight from the earth and the finest cuisine you will find your palate transported on a journey of African fusion and gastronomic delight.
|► Wine Cellar|
Lingering flavours of the palate may be sampled from the extensive assortment of wines housed in the cool atmosphere of the Mateya Cellar. An impressive collection of both esteemed local and rare French wines and champagnes make up the cellar’s 8 000 bottles of indulgence that lie chaste, waiting to be hand picked by Mateya guests as an accompaniment to their dining. Select a brandy, a cognac or a single malt wiskey with a cigar from our humidor as the perfect conclusion to a pristine Mateya dining experience.
The library is home to an invaluably rare collection of works of African literature dating back to the turn of the 19th century. In quiet seclusion guests are able to immerse themselves in the rich past of this land and relive the splendour unique to Africa through the captivated eyes of superbly talented authors. Should you wish there is also a surround sound plasma screen audiovisual console. Guests may enjoy an afternoon viewing wildlife programs from the DVD collection or television if they so please.
|► Bush Boardroom|
When business calls guests have the facility to host meetings in the unique Mateya Bush Boardroom. A business ‘pow wow’ in the heart of the African bush, with the magnificent scenery of Mateya Safari Lodge all around, is sure to inspire creative and lateral thought. Full Internet and email facilities are available in our Bush Boardroom.
|► Curio Shop|
Our curio shop is full of delightful items created by skilled craftsmen. Many of the items are hand crafted by the very same artisans whose works adorn the lodge. Unique items of memorabilia are also on sale with the Mateya Safari Lodge logo emblazoned on them as a reminder of one’s African adventure in one of Africa’s most exclusive game lodges. Guests can purchase all necessary safari regalia from the boutique, as well as any conventional items that may have been forgotten, for example, toothpaste or batteries.
|► Wellness Centre|
To bring home the renewing ambience of Mateya and the majesty of the setting, guests can be treated to a full range of pleasurable and rejuvenating body treatments by a dedicated health therapist. Relish a relaxing moment in the warm bubbles of our luxurious Jacuzzi or give way to the energetic call of the wilderness by making use of our personalised gym. Feel the freedom to take a healthy breath of Mateya magic, restoring your mind, body and soul.
- Per person per night sharing or single as stated
- Inclusive of all meals, teas and coffees
- Game drive and bush walks
- Local beverages and house wines
- Internet usage
- Reserve gate entrance fee and landing fees
- Levies and transfer from Madikwe Airstrip to Mateya
- Quoted in South African Rands (ZAR)
- Subject to change without prior notice
- Include of 15% VAT (subject to change)
- Health therapy treatments
- Vintage and imported wines & Premium label spirits
- Telephone calls
- Curio Purchases
- Conservation levy
- Only children 13 years & under can be accommodated on a triple basis in one room
- Check in times is reserved for 12H00 check-out time is set at 11H00
- Please note that departure times may be arrange, subject to availability of our suites
- Arrival, departure times & method of transport must please be advised prior to arrival
- Please advise us of any dietary requirements prior to arrival at the lodge
- Private Vehicle Rate R1 500 per drive
Terms & Conditions
- 25% deposit for the total accommodation is required 1-14 days after making the booking. A non-refundable deposit of 25% required for all reservations made between 20 December and 01 January in any given year.
- 50% deposit for the total accommodation is required 31-60 days prior to arrival
- Full pre-payment will be due 30 days prior to arrival date
- Please note that Mateya Safari Lodge reserves the right to sell accommodation held without the relevant deposit to a cash buyer
- Following deposit request, a reasonable time period will be allowed for the necessary deposit to be settled
- All reservations must please be made in writing, i.e. by fax, e-mail or letter
- All changes to reservations, i.e. dates, number of guests, etc. must please be notified in writing
- Should a cancellation be received 61 days prior to arrival, the deposit will be refunded in full unless the reservation falls between 20 December and 01 January, in which case the deposit is non refundable.
- Reservations cancelled 31-60 days prior to arrival will be charged a 50% cancellation fee of the total accommodation amount
- Reservations cancelled 1-30 days prior to arrival will be charged a 50% cancellation fee of the total accommodation amount
- All cancellations must be made in writing
Guide / Pilot Rates
- Bonafide guides/pilots/tour leaders/drivers will be accommodated at a rate of R 800 pp per night in specially allocated accommodation
- This rate includes accommodation and all meals taken with the Mateya staff
- If guests would like their guide to join them for meals, there will be an additional charge of R 100 per day
- Pilots or guides partaking in game drives or other activities will be at managements discretion
- The minimum age for children accepted at Mateya Safari Lodge is 9 years of age, unless sole use of the lodge (5 suites) is booked, there will be no age limit in place
- Children 13 years & under will be charged R6 600, unless child stays in a suite on it's self, in such case the child will be charged the full adult rate
Arrival | Departure Times
- Check in time is reserved for 12h00 and check -out time is set at 11h00
- Please note that late departure times may be arranged, subject to availability of our suites
- Arrival and departure times and method of transport must please be advised prior to arrival.
- Please advise us of any dietary requirements prior to arrival at the lodge.
TheExperience – Total Comfort & Relaxation....
- Qualified experienced and professional field guides and trackers
- Personal and meticulous dedication to our guests’ ultimate enjoyment and satisfaction
- All meals available on the decks or in the dining room overlooking the plains
- The “Fire Core” offers a unique bush dining experience
- For an ambience of elegance, the wine cellar is available for private dining
- Game Drives in custom built 4 x 4 safari vehicles accompanies by our Field Guides and Trackers
- In formative guided walking safaris & Birding Safaris
- All game viewing excursions are planned around guests’ individual interests, as we take only 4 guests per vehicle, ensuring full realization of their ideal safari experience
- If you would like a private vehicle for 2 guests, it is an additional charge of R 1 500.00 per drive, R 3 000.00 per day
Mateya Safari Lodge is breathtakingly beautiful, the game is plentiful, and the comfort is unsurpassed. The artwork and literature capture the essence of an untamed spirit. Savoured with either a glass of chilled Chardonnay or well-matured Merlot, the Mateya Gallery and Library offer the delight of sharing in the many breath-taking adventures of those to whose cannon of experience your Mateya safari will be the latest addition. Whether soaking up the afternoon rays whilst walking through the reserve on a guided tracking safari, or sitting down to an evening of fine dining, each and every feature of your visit will leave you with the pleasure of having indulged in an unforgettable experience.
Mateya Lodge is situated in the spectacular 75,000 hectare Malaria-free Madikwe Game Reserve. The reserve is characterized by extensive plains which slope in a north-easterly and easterly direction towards the Marico River. The Dwarsberg Mountain Range forms the reserve’s southern boundary, and the Tweedepoort Escarpment forms the dividing line between the reserve’s northern and southern sections, rising to 1328m at Tshwene-Tshwene. The Madikwe Reserve is located in a Malaria-free area of the North West Province, a mere three and a half hours drive from Johannesburg and 120km from Sun City. The Madikwe Reserve has its own airstrip and regular SA Airlink flights from Johannesburg and Cape Town to Sun City and then onto the lodge make Mateya easily accessible. Arrangements can be made for direct, chartered flights, landing at the Madikwe Reserve airstrip, which is a short 10 minute drive from the main lodge.