However, please note that Makanyane does not accommodate children aged 12 years and younger unless the Lodge is reserved for sole-use by a group or family.
Designed by a team of top-notch architects, Makanyane’s main visitor hub, and suites merge effortlessly with the adjacent wilderness and boast understated yet stylish interiors.
From its lofty setting, the main visitor hub provides stunning views of the ravine and waterhole below. The gigantic ancient Leadwood trees supporting the thatched roof work to further enhance the dramatic atmosphere. The generous sitting area has two rock fireplaces and leads onto an expansive wooden deck with a well-stocked bar as does the refined dining room.
For visitors who can’t go without their mod cons, the den has 24-hour internet and fax access, satellite TV, and a video library. It also serves as a mini-conference centre for up to 16 delegates. In addition, there is an enviable wine cellar and a curio shop where you can hunt for mementos of your bushveld breakaway.
Not far from the main visitor hub lies the open-air Boma lies and a standalone viewing platform; the ideal spot to indulge in a quiet cocktail as you observe Madikwe’s resident bird- and wildlife going their business.
The eight deluxe suites are set along the myriad paths that wind through the forest that lines the banks of the Groot Marico River and constructed from local stone, wood, and thatch to minimise their impact on the pristine natural environment.
Each tastefully-appointed glass-fronted suite features a lounge, double bedroom, full bathroom with a free-standing bath, indoor and outdoor showers, and a spacious sundeck where you can drink in Madikwe’s magical beauty in complete privacy.
Additional facilities include fireplaces, overhead fans, air-conditioning, a telephone, a coffee/tea station, safe, and bar fridge as well as bathrobes, hairdryers, insect repellent, and a range of upmarket toiletries.
As for those visitors with a sense of romantic adventure, you can book a sleepover on Makanyane’s star deck. The double storey hide with sleeping platform lies hidden some distance from the main hub and gives you the opportunity to experience a memorable night out under a sky full of stars with only the nocturnal creatures for company. What better way to spend your honeymoon or celebrate a special anniversary.
Daytime activities include thrilling game drives and guided nature trails accompanied by knowledgeable field rangers. Subject to availability, an exclusive game viewing trip can be organised on request. But you don’t need to go far to encounter Madikwe’s amazing diversity of bird and animal species including the Big 5. Makanyane has several hides from where you can take in the daily animal action and appreciate vistas of the endless sweeping plains and tranquil river frontage.
Alternatively, take a refreshing dip in infinity pool which is located high above the stream-fed waterhole. For visitors wishing to work up an appetite, there is fully- equipped, air-conditioned gym. And if something a little more soothing is what you desire, Makanyane provides a selection of indulgent spa therapies including massages, aromatherapy, reflexology, and facials. Plus, you can choose from a variety of settings for your therapy, like the isolated spa, the comfort of your suite, or on the look-out deck.
When it comes to mealtimes, Makanyane Safari Lodge gourmet fare – prepared using only the finest and freshest local and imported ingredients – promises to make your stay even more unforgettable.
Breakfasts are typically a group affair giving visitors the chance to swap anecdotes of your morning’s safari adventures. The buffet lunches, afternoon teas, and à la carte dinners are usually in the company of the friends and family with whom you’re staying and served in the dining space or on the main viewing deck.
Intimate outdoor dinners and mouthwatering sunset feasts served in the fire-lit traditional Boma are also on the menu. Unless, perhaps you prefer a romantic poolside supper or a down-to- earth bush barbeque. The delectable cuisine is perfectly complemented by the Lodge’s award-winning wine list.
If it’s a heavenly wedding venue you seek, Makanyane Safari Lodge has what it takes to ensure your big day exceeds your wildest expectations. Picture yourself celebrating your nuptials beneath a magnificent old Tamboti tree, on the banks of the Groot Marico River or alongside with the waterhole with Madikwe’s resident game looking on.
Makanyane’s opulent accommodations, exceptional game viewing, and first-rate service combine to ensure this Lodge will rank as one of your top African safari destinations.
- Rates 2018
- Additional Charges
Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • South African Rands • Subject to availability
|Sancutuary Makanyane||1-3 nights|
(2 people sharing)
|01 Sep '18 to 06 Jan '19||R8 465||R12 700||R4 225||R4 225|
|07 Jan '19 to 30 Apr '19||R9 900||R14 850||R4 950|
|01 May '19 to 31 Aug '19||R8 500||R12 750||R4 250|
|01 Sep '19 to 05 Jan '20||R11 900||R17 850||R5 950|
|Sancutuary Makanyane||4-6 nights|
(2 people sharing)
|01 Sep '18 to 06 Jan '19||R7 625||R11 440||R3 815||R3 815|
|07 Jan '19 to 30 Apr '19||R8 415||R12 623||R4 208|
|01 May '19 to 31 Aug '19||R5 950||R8 925||R2 975|
|01 Sep '19 to 05 Jan '20||R10 710||R16 065||R5 355|
|Sancutuary Makanyane||7+ nights|
(2 people sharing)
|01 Sep '18 to 06 Jan '19||R7 200||R10 805||R3 600||R3 600|
|07 Jan '19 to 30 Apr '19||R7 425||R11 138||R3 713|
|01 May '19 to 31 Aug '19||R5 525||R8 288||R2 763|
|01 Sep '19 to 05 Jan '20||R10 115||R15 173||R5 058|
Rates are per person per night in
Longer duration pricing is valid for single & multi-camp stays
In addition to the above offers, guests on honeymoon also receive the following:
Honeymoon Special Complimentary Inclusions:
• Sparkling Wine and Fruit Basket on arrival.
Stay 4-6 nights & save up to 30%
Stay 7+ nights & save up to 40%
To find out more about this offer, please refer to the rates of each of our properties.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Offer can be applied to single and multi-camp stays at any of Sanctuary Retreats’ camps and lodges in Botswana, Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa, Uganda and Zambia
- Percentage discount varies based on selected property, seasonality and length of stay.
- Please see selected property page for rates.
Rates are subject to availability and can be withdrawn without prior notice anytime at the sole discretion of Sanctuary Retreats.
All bookings are subject to the Sanctuary Retreats trading terms and conditions.
- Transfer to and from Madikwe Game Reserve airstrip,
- All meals, and non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages (house wines, local beers, local spirits and soft drinks),
- Game viewing activities (2 daily game drives and/or game walks),
- Laundry services, emergency medical evacuation and park fees.
- International and domestic flights, and any road transfers,
- Madikwe Conservation Contribution Fee,
- Landing fees for Madikwe Game Reserve airstrip,
- Travel insurance, boutique purchases, gratuities, spa treatments, and all other items of a personal nature.
- Madikwe Conservation Contribution Fee,
- Triples and quadruples are subject to availability at time of confirming a booking.
- There is a maximum of 3 suites per night available for triple or quadruple occupancy in Sanctuary Makanyane Safari Lodge.
- There is guide accommodation at Sanctuary Makanyane Safari Lodge that can be booked at a rate of ZAR 2,250 per night, subject to availability.
Long Stay Rates
- Long stay rates depend on season of travel and the duration
of the total stay, starting from 4 nights. The total stay can be in one
camp/lodge only, or be made up of stays in different Sanctuary Retreats
camps/lodges anywhere in Africa. Stays in different camps/lodges do not
need to be consecutive, but must belong to one itinerary.
- All single occupancy bookings are charged at the single
- Children aged 12 and over are welcome at Sanctuary Makanyane Safari Lodge. A maximum of two children aged 12 – 15 inclusive are able to share a suite with two adults.
- The maximum age for child rates to apply is 15 years inclusive.
- One child stays free of charge, and another child pays the child rate, when sharing with 2 paying adults in low season, subject to availability of a triple or quadruple suite.
- One or two children pay the child rate when sharing with 2 guests paying adult rates in high and peak season, subject to availability of a triple or quadruple suite.
- One, two or three children sharing with one adult in low season pay the child rate, subject to availability of a triple or quadruple suite.
- In all other circumstances children pay the applicable adult fare..
- A non-refundable 20% deposit is payable within 7 days to confirm a booking with the balance due 60 days prior to arrival.
- If a booking is made 60 days or less before arrival the full cost of the booking is payable immediately to confirm the booking.
- Last minute bookings are payable before arrival. Failure to pay on time may result in automatic cancellation of the booking with cancellation penalties payable to Sanctuary Retreats.
- All cancellations should be made in writing. Cancellation charges are calculated on the total value of the booking.
- Cancellations received from the date of booking to 61 days prior to arrival incur a 20% cancellation fee.
- Cancellations received from 60 days to 31 days prior to arrival incur a 50% cancellation fee.
- Cancellations received from 30 days prior until arrival incur a 100% cancellation fee. Additional fees apply for cancellation of airline tickets and other services which will be advised as soon as possible after receipt of the written cancellation. Special cancellation terms apply for group bookings and exclusive use of the lodge and will be advised at time of booking.
Strolling along the shady path winding through the riverine forest will bring you to your romantic and secluded suite. As in the main lodge, rich African textures abound, walls of natural rock and dried tree trunks merge with rough teak doors and contrast with the overhanging thatch. The glass walled bedroom suites allow uninterrupted views of the river and the surrounding bush. The open-fronted lounge with its private sundeck is the perfect place to relax and enjoy the sights and sounds of the bush. The call of the fish eagle echoes down the river as elephants, escaping the heat of the day, plunge into the deep water and disturb the sleeping hippo.
The spectacular bathrooms have under-floor heating as well as indoor and outdoor showers. The wide, folding doors can be opened to allow the sounds and scents of the surrounding bush to join you in the luxurious freestanding bathtub. The understated luxury of your suite flawlessly compliments your untamed surroundings. The suites have fireplaces, overhead fans and are fully air-conditioned and heated. The rooms also have a telephone, hot beverage making facilities, mini safe and a bar fridge. Bathrobes, hairdryers, insect repellent, body and sun lotion, soap as well as shampoo and conditioner are all provided.
|► Food & Wine|
Our delicious cuisine is complimented by superb South African wines from our extensive cellar. As well as offering classic wines such as Kanonkop's Paul Sauer and Klein Constantia's Vin de Constance, we have gone to great lengths to search out excellent quality, value and range in the wine list that we offer our guests. This ensures that for wine lovers Makanyane is a real treat.
|► Gym & Spa|
The well equipped gym and bush spa is just the place to work up an appetite, or to simply pamper yourself. Tucked away in the forest, this air-conditioned facility has all that you need for a gentle workout or more strenuous exercise. Alternatively, treat yourself to massage or aromatherapy from Makanyane's onsite masseuse.
|► Conference Facilities|
A computer with full internet access is available for the use of guests together with fax services. Satellite television and video are also provided. Makanyane has air conditioned conference facilities for 16 people.
Activities at Makanyane revolve around relaxing your body and mind and experiencing the rich details of your surroundings. Relax by lounging at our heated swimming pool, strip away the stress of city living with a massage or aromatherapy on your private deck or in our bush spa, unwind by exercising in our gym, or simply catch up on your quiet time by selecting a book from our library and settling down in our den or on one of the outside decks to read. Elephant To experience the vibrant bush life around you, allow yourself to be led through Madikwe's 75,000 hectare environment, either on foot or in an open vehicle. Watch the wildlife, oblivious to your presence, from one of our bush hides overlooking a waterhole or facing plains that stretch to the horizon. You could even sleep out under the stars while nocturnal life continues around your secure, elevated deck.
|► on Safari|
Madikwe Game Reserve is more than just an incredible malaria-free safari destination, it is an internationally significant conservation initiative.The species that populate Madikwe include lion, leopard, black rhino and white rhino as well as large herds of elephant and buffalo. The rare African wild dog (in the Tswana language, "Makanyane"), cheetah, spotted and brown hyena, giraffe, zebra and numerous antelope species also roam the reserve. Over 340 bird species also make their home in Madikwe which sprawls across richly varied eco-zones, from rocky peaks, across open grasslands, to verdant valleys, each zone with its own distinctive inhabitants.
The lodge consists of a beautiful main building and eight stunning suites, which lie hidden in the lush forest, offering spectacular views over the tranquil Marico River. Situated on 1,800 hectares of private ground within the 75,000 hectare Madikwe Game Reserve, the lodge has accommodation for a maximum of sixteen guests, ensuring that each guest has privacy and individual attention. Makanyane Safari Lodge is located on 1,800 hectares of private ground incorporated into the magnificent malaria-free Madikwe Reserve in the North West Province of South Africa. Madikwe is 50 minutes by air from Johannesburg. Driving time from Johannesburg is approximately 3.5 hours using the route via Sun City and 5 hours using the route via Rustenburg and Zeerust.
(Please note that these charges are based on 2018 rates and are subject to change at any time without prior notice)
CONSERVATION CONTRIBUTION FEE
||PER PERSON, ONE WAY||PRICE|
|Madikwe Conservation Contribution Fee||Adult||R 150|
|INTERNAL FLIGHTS||PER PERSON, ONE WAY||PRICE|
|Madikwe to O.R. Tambo / O.R.
Tambo to Madikwe
||Adult||R 3 960|
|Child (2 to 11 years)||R 2 995|
|Infant (0 to 2 years)||R 970|
|LANDING FEE||PER PERSON, ONE WAY||PRICE|
|O.R.Tambo to JNB||Adult||R 240|
|Child (2 to 11 years)||R 150|
|Infant (0 to 2 years)||R 150|
|ROAD TRANSFERS||PER VEHICLE, ONE WAY||PRICE|
||1 - 3 guests||R 3 700|
|4 - 6 guests||R 4 100|
|7 - 13 guests||R 4 600|
|Overnight supplement (Transfers between 18:00 - 9:00)||Applies to all capacities||R 1000|
|Central and Eastern Lodges in Madikwe Game Reserve to Lodge||Up to 6 guests||R 200|
|Western Lodges in Madikwe Game Reserve to Lodge||Up to 6 guests||R 300|
|Western Airstrip to Lodge||Up to 6 guests||R 400|
|ACTIVITIES||PER VEHICLE, PER DRIVE||0|
|Private vehicle||Per activity per day, up to 6 guests|
• The additional charges listed are only a guide. Some charges may fluctuate daily and others are subject to change without prior notice. Please check at the time of booking.
• Fares and seats are only guaranteed once the tickets have been issued - the airline reserves the right to cancel fares and seats if the tickets are not issued.
• The timing and duration of flights and transfers may differ considerably depending on factors beyond the control of Sanctuary Retreats and operators involved.
• Private vehicle is subject to guide/vehicle availability and cannot be guaranteed.